A story will often be written for a magazine of some kind. The typical reader might be another student or someone who likes a particular kind of story. The writer might be writing in order to win a prize. The aim of the story will be to interest the reader.
– I was eating an ice cream and Sarah was sunbathing when we first saw the shark.
– I was just about to open the door, when I heard a shout from the kitchen.
– By the time I got to the house, Peter had left.
– As soon as John arrived, we got in the car.
– We had been playing cards just before we heard the news.
– It wasn’t until I got home that I realised how much I wanted to see him.
– After waiting for some time, I decided to leave.
– A few seconds later there was panic.
– Eventually everyone went home.
A discursive composition will often be written for a teacher, perhaps as a follow-up to a class activity. It will require you to give your opinions on a particular subject.
– It is often said that children watch too much television.
– In my opinion, people who hurt animals should be put in prison.
– As far as I’m concerned, smoking should be banned in all public places.
– I think that it’s important that we all make an effort to recycle more of our everyday rubbish.
– From my point of view, we all need to take responsability for the enviroment.
– Firstly, public transport needs to be improved.
– In addition, the government should open more leisure centres to encourage people to do exercise.
– However, people who want to smoke should have places where they can go.
– Although many peoples think that capital punishment is necessary, it is also true that people have been sentenced for crimes they did not commit.
– To sum up, I feel that exams should not be the only way to test students.
– In conclusion, we should all take an active part in improving our environment.
– Finally, it is important to remember that you can ofter be delayed for several hours at the airport.
– On balance then, I feel that boxing should be banned.