Write your Report
(You should write between 120-180 words)
Don’t begin and end your report with Dear Sir/Madam, like a letter.
Do say how you collected the information.
Do use headings because this makes it easier for the reader to find the main information.
Do include two or three points under each heading.
Do use numbering or bullet points to highlight main points.
Do use a range of specific vocabulary or set phrases e.g. Some thought this was a good idea…/other stundets said they preferred…, but Don’t use lots of adjectives and dramatic languages as you do in a story. A report gives factual information.
Don’t include irrelevant details or description.
Do express opinions impersonally. Don’t express recomendations or opinions until the conclusion.
Do use formal language.
– The aim of this report is to…
– This report is intended to…
– Most people seem to feel that…
– Several people said/told me/suggested/thought that…
Presenting a list
– They gave/suggested the following reasons:
– They made the following points:
– I would therefore recommend (that we expand the library/installing a new coffee machine).
– It would seem that (banning mobile phones) is the best idea.