An informal letter will be written to someone you know, e.g. a penfriend. It is usually written to tell the reader something interesting, share an experience, or explain feelings or personal opinions.
– Thanks for your letter. It was great to hear from you.
– Sorry I haven’t written for so long. I’ve been really busy recently.
– I thought I’d better write and let you know that…
– That’s about all my news. Do write soon and let me know what you’ve been doing.
– Once again, thanks very much for all your help last week.
– I’m (really) looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday.
– I’m (really) sorry that I couldn’t come to your party but unfortunately I had flu all weekend.
Inviting/reacting to invitations
– Why don’t you come and stay at my house next weekend?
– Thanks for the party invitations. I’d love to come.
– It was really kind of you to invite me to come sailing but I’m afraid I’m going away with my parents that weekend.
– Do you think you could find out how much tickets for the Enrique Iglesias concert are going to be?
– Would it be all right if I borrowed your car?
– Congratulations on getting the job! Does this mean you will be moving up north?
– Jim and I just wanted you to know how pleased we were that you did so well in your exams.
A transactional lettter may be formal or informal. It will usually involve taking action of some kind. For example, this may mean:
– giving information
– asking for information
– making a complaint
– asking for responses to suggestions.
– I am writing in response to your advertisment in Friday’s edition of The Times.
– I would be grateful if you could send me a copy of your summer brochure.
– I am writing to enquire about possible tennis coaching.
– I would like to know more about the type of accommodation that you can provide.
– I am writing to you about an unfortunate incident that took place in your shop on Tuesday.
– I have now been waiting over two months for a replacement to arrive.
– To make matters worse, we were told that there was no record of our reservation.
– I would be grateful if you could refund the cost of the holiday as soon as possible.